Saturday 13 February 2016

Do you know my name?

I knew myself, you still don't know me.
I just wanted to be myself, you had other plans.
I told you everything, you heard nothing.
I needed to be, you wanted me out of your lives.
I trusted you, you threw it away.
I knew no difference, you knew better.
I was only eight, you were childish.
I understood the cost, you saw no value.
You abandoned me, I had to stand by myself.
I suffered alone, you saw nothing.
You were no comfort, I cried in isolation.
I tried to die, to you I did.
I stood tall, an embarrassment to you.
I feel the loss, you lost sight.
I know love, will you ever?
I had to walk away, you gave marching orders.
I know how little I know, you gave empty lectures.
I am open, you couldn't be more closed.
You were not invited in, you barged anyway.
In spite of you, I miss you.
I forgave you, you blamed me.
I live, are you alive?
Your names are Mum and Dad.
Do you know my name?

2 comments:

  1. Wow.This has got to be the saddest thing I've read today. To be betrayed by one's own parents is the second worst kind of betrayal of trust. And at such a young age? They didn't deserve you. I'm so sorry, Evey. You're the better for it. I'm glad you're able to forgive them. It has set you free...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish this had been different for you. We all should be able to be our true selves and be loved and accepted.

    ReplyDelete